Voluntary Disclosure Program
Compliance and Enforcement
Our Voluntary Disclosure Program (VDP) enables contractors to assess their own compliance and comply with the regulations without incurring penalties that would have resulted had they not stepped forward. As well, participation in the program keeps the contractor’s enforcement history off of the public registry, which helps preserve their reputation.
The VDP covers any regulated work that might have been performed that is not compliant with the Safety Standards Act and its associated regulations.
- Performing work without a required permit;
- Performing work outside the scope of a licence or qualification; and
- Performing work without licence or qualification.
The VPD application progress
We have the technology, methodology, and expertise to identify contractors who are failing to fulfill their legal responsibilities. With the data and resources we have, for these non-compliant contractors it is not a question of if they will be caught, but when.
This VDP provides contractors the opportunity to change their behaviour so they do not end up receiving enforcement action. As a result, while the contractor is an active participant in the VDP, they will be exempt from enforcement and will be able to review, declare, and make compliant all regulated non-compliant work.
If you are accepted, you will have 60 days to:
- Review - Contractors accepted onto the program must perform a review of all regulated work for the two year period prior to the date of registration.
- Report - After completing a review, contractors must identify any non-compliant regulated work under the Safety Standards Act and associated regulations and report it to us.
- Correct - Once the work has been reviewed and reported, the contractor must take all the necessary steps to ensure the work is made compliant.
You may be not be accepted into VPD if you have provided inaccurate information or if you are already under investigation as a result of non-compliance.
In the event that your VDP application is rejected you will be provided with a written explanation of the reason(s) for the decision.
If you would like more information or you have any questions about VPD, please get in touch with our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.