Exam content and scores are subjected to multiple levels of verification and quality checks before being released. This ensures that each candidate’s performance is appropriately assessed, and scores are reported accurately.
If you have concerns about your exam, Technical Safety BC provides several options for exam review, re-mark or feedback, depending on the nature of your concern.
Exam feedback and complaints
In some cases, you may have concerns about the way your exam was conducted or may believe there were factors outside your control that affected your performance, but you do not believe there are problems with the specific questions, answers, or marking of your exam. Usually in these cases, you do not believe the mark you received was “wrong,” but you may believe something about the process was unfair. We encourage you to call us at 1 866 566 7233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you towards a resolution.
Examples of these types of situations, which we encourage you to bring to our attention, include:
- Ineffective exam conditions (e.g. noise, temperature, space, delays, etc.) – please submit your feedback for further action and follow up.
- Having received incomplete or inaccurate training from a training provider – please submit your feedback for further action and follow up.
If you are concerned about whether the mark you received is accurate, you are entitled to request a re-mark of your examination for $68 in accordance with Technical Safety BC’s fee schedules. A request for re-marking an exam must be submitted in writing to Technical Safety BC within 30 days of the date the exam results were received, and must include the following:
- Date, location and name of the exam
- Grounds on which the review is made, please be specific
- Supporting documentation to corroborate review, if appropriate
- Exam re-mark / review fee ($68, see fee schedule: exam re-marking fee)
Requesting for re-marking of an exam is a good option if your exam was taken on paper (not electronically), if the mark was “close” to a pass but you cannot identify any particular concerns about the exam questions, answers, or process.
At any time, you can also request a Safety Manager Review within 30 days of the date you received your exam results. If you've requested a re-mark, your 30 day deadline for requesting a Safety Manager Review will be “frozen” while the re-mark is underway. There is no fee for the Safety Manager Review.
Safety Manager Review
In most cases, your examination results are issued by a senior safety officer with delegated powers under s. 15 of the Safety Standards Act. As a result, you have a right under s. 49 of the Act to request of review of your examination results by a safety manager within 30 days of the date you received your results.
A Safety Manager Review is a formal means for reviewing candidates’ exam results. Your request for a Safety Manager Review must describe the specific reason you are requesting a review. If you cannot identify a particular problem, issue, or concern with your exam, you may want to consider proceeding with requesting a re-marking of your exam first. A Safety Manager Review will be focused on the particular reason you state as to why you think the examination results are incorrect; it will not involve a comprehensive review of every question and answer.
When you consider requesting a Safety Manager Review, we also encourage you to bear in mind that the safety manager must be satisfied that the requirements of the Act have been met. This usually means that the safety manager must be satisfied that you have demonstrated sufficient knowledge of the relevant material by passing an appropriate exam. Typical reasons why a Safety Manager Review might be successful include the following:
- Question or responses do not align with the current regulation, code or standard;
- Question does not align with the current exam syllabus or program outline;
- Question does not fall within the scope of the certification;
- Question is not clearly defined as to its intent;
- More than one response to a question is correct;
- There are no correct responses for the question; or
- A question marked incorrect is correct.
Alternatively, a Safety Manager Review is unlikely to be successful where the reason for a fail result relates to the following:
- Test anxiety or any other personal issues affecting performance;
- Failing to sufficiently study and prepare for the exam;
- Failing to bring the required codes, standards and regulations to the exam; or
- Mark received was “close” to the pass threshold.
In these cases, we encourage you to rewrite the exam at your convenience.
A request for Safety Manager Review of exam results must be submitted in writing to Technical Safety BC within 30 days of the date the exam you received your exam results. Complete the Safety Manager Review request form and submit it via our contact form. Alternatively, you can mail your request to the address at the bottom of the form. Please ensure you include the following information:
- Your name;
- Date, location and name of the examination;
- Grounds on which the request for Safety Manager Review is made (please be specific); and
- Supporting documentation to corroborate review, if appropriate.