Electrical Licences

If you intend to be hired by others to perform electrical work, you must be licensed by Technical Safety BC. A licensed contractor is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Safety Standards Act, all relevant regulations, and all applicable safety orders and directives. You do not require a licence to perform electrical work if you are employed by a licensed electrical contractor.

Applying for an Electrical Contractor's Licence

  1. Complete Electrical Contractor Licence Application Form 1028.
  2. Be sure to name a Field Safety Representative (FSR) on the application.
  3. Provide the original surety bond of $10,000 bearing the principal's signature and insurer's signature and seal with your application.
    • Note: The name on the bond documents must be the same as the company name provided on the application and both must match exactly with the full legal business name registered in BC. The name of the “Obligee” listed on the bond should be “British Columbia Safety Authority” as this remains our legal name.
  4. Have a BC Business Registration number.
  5. Pay the relevant fee and submit to any Technical Safety BC office.

Renewing your licence

Licences must be renewed annually.

If you have received your renewal notice, please check with your insurer that your surety bond is still active and then either:

  • Login to your contractor account online and click on "contractor licences" to renew,
  • call 1 866 566 7233 to pay by credit card, or
  • bring your completed renewal form and payment to a Technical Safety BC office.

Changes to your licence

If your contact information changes, you must notify us by calling 1 866 566 7233.

If the status of your FSR has changed, you must submit a Notice of FSR Change Form 1023 to a Technical Safety BC office immediately.

Looking up contractors who are licensed in BC

To check if an electrical contractor is licensed with Technical Safety BC, go to our Find a Contractor page and enter in their name or company name. If you do not see them listed, they may be operating under a different name or a numbered company. Call us at 1 866 566 7233 if you need assistance, or if you are licensed but not presently listed. 

Field Safety Representative Certification

To be named a Field Safety Representative (FSR) on a contractor licence and on permits, you must pass the exam for your certification. See details of FSR classes and requirements here.

FSRs are authorized to sign declarations for work performed by contractors. It is an FSR's responsibility to:

  • Examine the work to ensure it complies with the Safety Standards Act,
  • Request any inspections required under the Act,
  • Ensure no work is concealed or connected to a supply unless authorized, and
  • Ensure compliance with qualifications and supervision requirements for individuals doing work under the permit.

To qualify for an exam, you must meet the minimum requirements for a specific class of certification.

Certificates are issued to individuals, not companies.