Online Services

Online Services will be unavailable due to scheduled maintenance from Friday, March 24 at 6pm until Monday, March 27 at 6am.  

Online Services

Online Services will be unavailable due to scheduled maintenance from Friday, March 24 at 6pm until Monday, March 27 at 6am.  



Electrical safety

We oversee electrical equipment and systems across BC in accordance with the Safety Standards Act and the Electrical Safety Regulation. The exception are those municipalities that have separate administrative agreements with the provincial government.

Changes to Canadian Electrical Code

To improve the safety of electrical equipment across the province, a new version of the Canadian Electrical Code was adopted in BC effective October 1, 2022. The new code includes changes to support electrical workers in the safe installation and maintenance of electrical systems and equipment. 

You might be interested in

Directives, Information Bulletins, Safety Orders and Advisories

Incident Investigations

Electrical Regulations

The Safety Standards Act applies to everyone who installs, alters, maintains or operates electrical equipment. All licensed contractors are required to keep up to date with changes in the Act and Regulations.

Safety Standards Act

Safety Standards General Regulation

Electrical Safety Regulation

Fee Setting Criteria Regulation

Monetary Penalties Regulation


All licensed contractors and Field Safety Representatives (FSRs) are required to keep up-to-date with changes in the Act and regulations. Contractors and FSRs must have access to a current edition of the C22.1 Canadian Electrical Code and BC amendments. Check that your employer has a copy or purchase at retail/wholesale outlets or through the CSA Group store.

Ask a safety officer: Gas and electrical flood safety

If you live in a flood prone area, it’s important to be aware of the gas and electrical safety risks caused by floodwaters, and the appropriate steps you should take to stay safe.

We asked our safety officers for a few tips on how to prepare your home or workplace if a flood is imminent.


Electrical operating permits: what are they and do I need one?

As a building owner or strata manager, you need an electrical operating permit to operate electrical equipment. If you don’t have one, it increases your risk of developing electrical hazards.

Ask a safety officer: Electrical vehicle charger safety

Whether you are running an extension cord to charge your vehicle or using charging stations in your apartment building, there are electrical safety risks EV owners need to be aware of to prevent injury.


Online Services

Digital assessments

We've expanded our remote assessments program by developing digital tools that help clients submit information.


Related information