Safety Awareness & Operators: Exam Information
Our exams are held across most of our offices in BC. Due to COVID-19, we have also created an online exam option.
You can find more updates about our certification exams here.
View our 2021 exam schedules for the following locations:
Contact us to book at our Cranbrook exam location.
Apply for your exam
If you want to take a certification exam that falls under the Boiler, Pressure Vessels, and Refrigeration (BPVR) technology category, you must first fill out and submit an exam application form along with proof that you meet the minimum requirements for the certificate you are applying for.
If you want to take an Elevating Devices Operator certificate exam, you will only need to submit an exam application form.
Payment and exam schedule
Once your exam application has been processed, you will receive a call from us to pay for and book your exam. This can take up to 7-10 business days after we receive your application. Based on availability, exam dates can be scheduled 15 business days from the time of payment. You will receive your exam confirmation letter by email or mail, depending on your indicated preference.
If your application is incomplete or you are ineligible for the exam, you will be contacted and asked to provide any missing requirements.
Exam application policies
- Incomplete application(s) will be returned to the applicant.
- Technical Safety BC will not be able to accommodate clients wishing to reschedule exams within 5 business days of the scheduled exam date.
- There is no charge for the 1st reschedule of an examination date if we are notified at least 5 business days from the examination date.
- 2nd and subsequent re-schedule requests will be charged a rescheduling fee (plus tax).
- Clients that fail to provide sufficient notice or do not attend the exam will be recorded as “no show” and the exam fee will be forfeited.
- Rescheduled exams must be written within 60-days following the original scheduled exam date. Clients unable to write within this time will have to re-apply.
- If an examination candidate fails to pass an examination, they will receive a notification letter from Technical Safety BC that details the marks achieved and highlights areas that are in need of improvement. An exam re-write fee applies to each additional attempt.
- If an examination candidate fails to pass an examination on their initial attempt, the candidate may not take the examination again until 30 days after the previous examination.
- If an examination candidate fails to pass an examination on their second attempt, the candidate may not take the examination again until 60 days after the previous examination.
- If an examination candidate fails to pass an examination on their third or subsequent attempts, the individual may not take the examination for that particular paper again for a period of six months.
- A client may request a special examination sitting for six or more candidates. The request should go to the client care leader and the chief examiner for approval, depending on availability of an examination invigilator. Applications and fees must be received and processed three to four weeks before the date of the special sitting.
- A government-issued picture ID is required to be presented at the time of writing an examination.
After your exam
Your exam results will arrive by mail or email depending on your indicated preference.
If you are applying for a BPVR Safety Awareness or Operator certificate, you will also need to pass an evaluation if you have not already done so. You will receive your certification letter and wallet card upon passing both the exam and evaluation portions of the certification process.
If you are applying for an Elevating Devices Operator certificate, you will receive your certification letter and wallet card upon passing your exam.
BPVR Safety Awareness and Operator certificates must be renewed every 3 years. Elevating Devices Operator certificates must be renewed annually. Learn more.