Electrical Licences

If you intend to be hired by others to perform electrical work, you must be licensed by Technical Safety BC.

Applying for an Electrical Contractor's Licence

  1. Complete Licence Application Form 1028.
  2. Be sure to name a Field Safety Representative (FSR) on the application and provide the original surety bond of $10,000 bearing the principal's signature and insurer's signature and seal with your application. Note: The name specific on the bond documents must be the same as the company name provided on the application.
  3. Pay the application fee and submit to any Technical Safety BC regional office.

Renewing your licence

If you have received your renewal notice, please call 1 866 566 7233 to pay by credit card. Or bring your completed renewal form and payment to a Technical Safety BC regional office.

Changes to your licence

If your contact information changes, you must notify us by calling 866 566 7233.

If the status of your FSR has changed, you must submit a Notice of FSR Change Form 1023 to a Technical Safety BC regional office immediately.

Field Safety Representative Certification

To be named a Field Safety Representative (FSR) on a contractor licence and on permits, you must pass the exam for your certification.

You are also authorized to sign declarations for work performed by contractors. It is then your responsibility to:

  • Examine the work to ensure it complies with the Safety Standards Act,
  • Request any inspections required under the Act,
  • Ensure no work is concealed or connected to a supply unless authorized, and
  • Ensure compliance with qualifications and supervision requirements for individuals doing work under the permit.

To qualify for an exam, you must meet the minimum requirements for that class.

Certificates are issued to individuals, not companies.

Was this page useful to you?