Gas Licences

If you intend to be hired by others to perform gas work, you must be licensed by Technical Safety BC. A licensed contractor is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Safety Standards Act, all relevant regulations, and all applicable safety orders and directives.

To perform regulated work, gas fitters must be employed by a licensed gas contractor or must be a licensed gas contractor themselves. If you want to become a gas fitter, you need to get the appropriate certificate of qualification as detailed in Division 2 of the gas safety regulations.

Applying for a Gas Contractor's Licence

  1. Complete the Gas Contractor Licence Application Form 514.
  2. Provide the original surety bond of $10,000 bearing the principal's signature and insurer's signature with your application.
    • Note: The name on the bond documents must be the same as the company name provided on the application and both must match exactly with the full legal business name registered in BC. The name of the “Obligee” listed on the bond should be “British Columbia Safety Authority” as this remains our legal name. 
  3. Have a BC Business Registration number.
  4. Pay the relevant fee and submit required forms and documents to any Technical Safety BC office.

Renewing your licence

Licences must be renewed annually.

If you have received your renewal notice, please check with your insurer that your surety bond is still active and then either:

  • Login to your contractor account online and click on "contractor licences" to renew;
  • call 1 866 566 7233 to pay by credit card, or;
  • visit a Technical Safety BC office and renew your licence in person.

Changes to your licence

If your contact information changes, notify us by calling 1 866 566 7233.

Looking up contractors who are licensed in BC

To check if a gas contractor is licensed with Technical Safety BC, go to our Find a Contractor page and enter their name or company name. If you do not see them listed, they may operating under a different name or a numbered company. Call us at 1 866 566 7233 if you need assistance, or if you are licensed by not presently listed.