Carbon monoxide safety

49 per cent of households in BC do not have a carbon monoxide detector.

What is carbon monoxide, and why is it dangerous?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, tasteless, invisible gas that is produced by burning fuels such as propane, natural gas, oil, wood, charcoal, alcohol, kerosene, or gasoline — all of which are commonly used in your home, RV, boat, or business.

Exposure to CO can be deadly

CO interferes with the body’s ability to absorb oxygen, which can lead to serious illness, severe side effects, or death.

How to identify symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

How can you tell you’ve been exposed to a dangerous gas? Learn about the symptoms of CO poisoning.

iStock-1128745016-medium.jpg
iStock-613556824_(2)-large_(1).jpg

Safeguard your home from carbon monoxide

Learn more about the steps you can take to protect yourself and loved ones at home from the dangers of CO poisoning.

Pets and carbon monoxide poisoning

Since pets are smaller and spend more time at home, they can exhibit signs of CO presence before humans.

adorable-animal-breed-374906.jpeg

CO risk in certain gas furnace models

Following a series of CO exposures, we led an in-depth investigation.

home-furnace-burner-ignited-crimson-blue-flame-gas-residential-radiator-heater-appliance-burning-heat-large.jpg

Related information