Licence Application Process Update

As of February 26, 2024, we’ve simplified our licence application process for electrical and gas contractors.  


If you intend to be hired by others to perform electrical work, you must be licensed by Technical Safety BC.

A licensed contractor is responsible for ensuring compliance with:

  1. The Safety Standards Act;
  2. All relevant regulations, and;
  3. All applicable safety orders and directives.

You do not require a licence to perform electrical work if you are employed by a licensed electrical contractor.

There are two ways of applying for your contractor’s licence:

Hardcopy Original Surety Bond

  1. Complete the Electrical Contractor Licence Application Form 1028.
  2. Provide an original signed hardcopy surety bond with your application.
  3. Mail in the application form and bond to the Technical Safety BC Vancouver office.

Electronic Bond (E-bond)

  1. Complete the Electrical Contractor Licence Application Form 1028.
  2. Provide a copy of your signed electronic surety bond with your application. This document may be submitted in any legible format such as a photo of the document, a PDF, or a scanned copy.
  3. Submit the application form and copy of bond via our contact form.

To be considered valid, original hardcopy bonds and electronic bonds must contain all of the following:

  • Bond number.
  • Bond Amount: $10,000.
  • Full legal business name. The name on the bond documents must be the same as the company name provided on the application and both must match exactly with the full legal business name registered in BC.
  • Obligee: British Columbia Safety Authority. The name of the “Obligee” listed on the bond should be “British Columbia Safety Authority” as this remains our legal name.
  • Principal’s signature.
  • Insurer’s signature.
  • Seal.
  • Date.

Note: As of February 26, 2024 you are no longer required to have your insurance company send us a copy of your electronic bond nor a matching assurance statement. Instead, we are now accepting copies of bond documents submitted directly by clients as part of the simplified licence application process. Copies of bond documents can be submitted in any legible format, including: PDFs, images/photos of the bond, or scans/photocopies of the document.

*We will accept electronic bonds from an insurer who has Power of Attorney for an insurance company. This must be demonstrated by a Power of Attorney letter supplied by the insurance broker or insurer at the time of submitting the electronic bond.

Licences must be renewed annually. Check with your insurer that your surety bond is still active, then renew through your online account.

If your contact information changes, you can update this information in your Online Account or notify us by calling 1 866 566 7233.

If you need to change your company name, you can obtain a bond rider from your insurer or insurance broker and send it via our contact form. We will accept bond riders submitted by the contractor, insurer, or insurance broker.

If the status of your FSR has changed, you must submit a Notice of FSR Change Form 1023.

To be named a Field Safety Representative (FSR) on a contractor licence and on permits, you must pass the exam for your certification. View details of FSR classes and requirements.

FSRs are authorized to sign declarations for work performed by contractors. It is an FSR's responsibility to:

  • Examine the work to ensure it complies with the Safety Standards Act,
  • Request any inspections required under the Act,
  • Ensure no work is concealed or connected to a supply unless authorized, and
  • Ensure compliance with qualifications and supervision requirements for individuals doing work under the permit.

To qualify for an exam, you must meet the minimum requirements for a specific class of certification.

Certificates are issued to individuals, not companies.

Find a Licensed Contractor

Use our lookup tool to find a licensed contractor in your area.


Becoming a Licensed Contractor

Our guide explains everything you need to know, including responsibilities, procedures, and frequently asked questions.

Related Information