If you intend to be hired by others to perform gas work, you must be licensed by Technical Safety BC.

A licensed contractor is responsible for ensuring compliance with:

  1. the Safety Standards Act;
  2. all relevant regulations, and;
  3. all applicable safety orders and directives

To perform regulated work, gas fitters must be employed by a licensed gas contractor or must be a licensed gas contractor themselves. If you want to become a gas fitter, you need to get the appropriate certificate of qualification as detailed in Division 2 of the gas safety regulations.

There are two ways of applying for your contractor’s licence:

1. Hardcopy Original Surety Bond

  1. Complete the Gas Contractor Licence Application form 514.
  2. Provide an original signed hardcopy surety bond with your application.
  3. Mail in the application form and bond to the Technical Safety BC Vancouver office.

2. Electronic Bond (E-bond)

  1. Complete the Gas Contractor Licence Application form 514.
  2. Provide a copy of your signed electronic surety bond with your application.
  3. Submit the completed application as a PDF via our contact form.
  4. Have your insurer (insurance company) submit the following to an electronic surety bond (e-bond), as well as an assurance statement that reads: "Please find attached the electronic copy of the bond(s) for (PRINCIPAL NAME HERE). This electronic bond will be honored as the hard copy original would be, and (NAME OF INSURANCE COMPANY) will honor this bond the same way a signed original bond would be if called.”

To be considered valid, original hardcopy bonds and electronic bonds must contain all of the following:

  • Bond number
  • Bond Amount: $10,000
  • Full legal business name. The name on the bond documents must be the same as the company name provided on the application and both must match exactly with the full legal business name registered in BC.
  • Obligee: British Columbia Safety Authority. The name of the “Obligee” listed on the bond should be “British Columbia Safety Authority” as this remains our legal name.
  • Principal’s signature
  • Insurer’s signature
  • Seal
  • Date

Note: We will not accept an electronic bond without an assurance statement. We do not accept electronic bonds from insurance brokers* or applicants; only insurers (insurance companies).

*We will accept electronic bonds from an insurer who has Power of Attorney for an insurance company. This must be demonstrated by a Power of Attorney letter supplied by the insurance broker or insurer at the time of submitting the electronic bond.

Licences must be renewed annually. Check with your insurer that your surety bond is still active, then renew through your online account.

If your contact information changes, you can update this information in your online services account or notify us by email or phone.

If you need to change your company name, you can obtain a bond rider from your insurer or insurance broker and send it via our Contact form. We will accept bond riders submitted by the contractor, insurer, or insurance broker.

Find a Licensed Contractor

Use our lookup tool to find a licensed contractor in your area.


Related Information