An individual who owns or operates one of the following is required to have an appropriate gas operating permit as detailed in section 28 of the Gas Safety Regulations:
- Industrial or commercial facility with appliances used for processing or process water heating with a total input greater than 1500 kW used for purposes other than space heating or domestic water heating
- Facilities where regulated gas products are installed on vehicles for purposes other than vehicle fuel systems
- Facilities where regulated gas products are installed on vehicles as part of the vehicle fuel system
- Portable appliances with an input greater than 300 kW that can be transported from site to site
- Facilities that maintain portable heating appliances of input equal to or less than 300 kW
- Facilities that fill containers with gas as defined under the Gas Safety Regulation
- Propane bulk plants
- Gas utilities
Additionally, the following operating permit holders must have a surety bond in order to perform regulated work, per section 28 (4) of the Gas Safety Regulation:
- Facilities where regulated gas products are installed on vehicles as part of the vehicle fuel system, and
- Facilities where regulated gas products are installed on vehicles for purposes other than vehicle fuel systems.
It’s recommended that gas operating permit holders review section 28 in full as other requirements or restrictions may apply depending on the type of gas operating permit you have.
Apply for a permit
- Apply and pay for a permit through your online services account or using this online form. If you use the form, you will have to submit payment separately through mail, or by contacting us.
- Once your application is approved, Technical Safety BC will issue a permit number.
Changes to permit information
If you or your company is no longer responsible for the address registered with us, complete the Change of Ownership form.