Boilers, Pressure Vessels and Refrigeration Installation Permits

Licensed contractors and owners need a permit before they install, operate, or perform maintenance on boilers and refrigeration systems that meet certain specifications. Examples include:

  • Hot water or low pressure steam boilers with a heating surface area exceeding 3 m2
  • High pressure steam boilers with a heating surface area exceeding 2 m2
  • Hot potable water heaters exceeding 120 kW or 400,000 BTUs/h
  • Air conditioning and refrigeration systems exceeding 5 kW input prime mover nameplate rating

A list of equipment that DOES NOT require an installation permit, can be seen here. 

Pressure vessels don't require an installation permit. Some, including propane storage tanks, require an operating permit; see details here.

Register a design before getting your installation permit

Before installing a boiler, refrigeration system, or pressure piping, above NPS3, you’ll need to provide a Canadian Design Registration Number (CRN). Manufacturers can submit their design specifications of the device registered to obtain a CRN. View details on registering a design and pneumatic testing.

Obtain a Boiler and Refrigeration installation permit

  1. To obtain your installation permit please prepare all the information in the Boiler Installation Permit Form 823 or Refrigeration Installation Permit Form 824 and:
  2. Call our customer service line at 1 866 566 7233; or
  3. Mail or visit your nearest Technical Safety BC office.

Please be prepared to pay the appropriate fee for your type of boiler, refrigeration system or pressure vessel: Boiler Fee Schedule.

Completing your installation

When you have finished your permitted installation, please submit a Boiler and Refrigeration Inspection Declaration Form 1449.


Only Class A and REF contractor license holders can make alterations and/or repairs. Notify Technical Safety BC ahead of time in accordance with the requirements outlined in the contractors Quality Control Manual or by completing the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Repair and Alteration Form 1060. Submit the required notification to any Technical Safety BC office. NOTE: Details of online submission should be included. 

Was this page useful to you?