Design registration for commercial/industrial gas equipment
Gas equipment is registered in accordance with CAN/CSA B149.3 code.
To register a design:
- Submit a completed gas design registration application form.
- For commercial/industrial appliance, submit this additional form.
- Provide documentation to verify that the design conforms to the applicable code/requirement. Refer checklist here. Note: Designs have to be made by a certified professional.
- For more than one design, please complete a separate application and collate documents by design.
- Submit a digital copy of the application by:
To ensure that your design registration will move forward, ensure that all requested information as listed on the application form has been provided. Incomplete application packages will not be processed.
Design review process followed by Technical Safety BC
- Application is reviewed to verify that all requirements have been met.
- Upon satisfactory review, a registration number is issued allowing the required product approval to be obtained.
- A separate invoice will be forwarded for the design registration fee.
- System documentation shall be supplied to the end-user.
Note: A copy shall be retained by the system designer for at least 10-years. The end user shall keep the system documentation up-to-date and shall keep it on file until the equipment or appliance is decommissioned.
Step 1: Product approval
Gas product approval is required for gas-fired appliances that do not bear a label or a mark from a Standards Council of Canada accredited certification agency. It's not applicable for gas appliances where a nationally recognized standard exists. Refer to for more details.
Step 2: Obtain an installation permit
Licensed contractors working with natural and manufactured gas, liquefied petroleum gas, hydrogen, digester gas, landfill gas, or a mixture or dilution of gasses, need to apply for an installation permit before installing regulated gas equipment, or gas systems. Refer here for information on .
Forms and fees
Email: GasSupport@technicalsafetybc.ca for more information.