Design Registration: Elevating Devices
Elevating devices such as hydraulic and electric elevators, construction hoist elevators, or escalators require a design registration application submitted by a licensed contractor if they are to be installed or altered. Design registration is also applicable to those seeking variances (or exemptions) from safety code requirements and those working on cab modernizations.
All designs must meet the requirements of CSA B44-16 safety code for elevators and escalators. Licensed contractors can prepare and submit the application, but a Professional Engineer must review the application content and prepare a Qualified Professional Declaration, prior to the application being submitted.
To register a design
- Log in to our online Design Registration Portal. See How to Register for more details on how to create an account.
- Select & complete the applicable webform.
- Upload and attach all supporting documentation, including:
- Design package, drawings, and applicable design requirements, as per CSA B44 requirements for Layout Drawing and Layout Data
- Seismic design criteria shall be recorded onto the Layout Drawing and Layout Data and must be authenticated by a Licenced Professional Engineer of British Columbia
All applications must be submitted through the Design Registration Portal, or they will be rejected.
Major and minor alterations
Learn more about what’s considered a major or minor alteration
Cab modernizations and variances
Upgrading elevator components must:
- meet safety codes or safety order requirements; improve speed, function, aesthetics, or performance must be reviewed through design registration.
- When applicable, calculations in conformance to cab modernizations or variances, must be signed by a Professional Engineer and a licensed elevator contractor, and shall be uploaded with the Request for Variance - Elevating Devices Form.
Questions? Email us