B44-16 code requirements for daily start-up checks and barricading
In addition to new maintenance control program and testing requirements, the adoption of this safety code requires owners of escalators and moving walks to:
- Conduct daily start-up checks prior to allowing the use of the escalator or moving walk by the public.
- Barricade stopped escalators to prevent entry or exit by the public (section 22.214.171.124.1(b) of the B44-16 code).
The B44-16 code refers to the Elevator Industry Field Employees’ Safety Handbook which details industry best practices for the positioning of barricades:
- Barricade to be a minimum of 42 inches (1067 mm) high.
- The barricade should completely surround the escalator from public access as well as any floor opening created when the escalator’s access plate(s) are removed
- The barricade should be securely attached to the balustrades, handrails and/or floor.
- All sections of the barricade should be connected.
- A system should be in place to keep the barricade rigid.
Learn more about the B44-16 code requirements.