Who needs a passenger ropeway permit?

  • Licensed contractors planning to install passenger ropeways equipment in BC. Passenger ropeways can include ski lifts and gondolas.

Alterations to existing ropeways also require a permit. Use the steps below and include a letter of intent along with your application, detailing the components you intend to modify.

Who issues the permit?

Technical Safety BC issues the permit.

Getting a permit from Technical Safety BC

  1. Register your passenger ropeway before applying for an installation permit. Once your design registration is approved, you will be automatically registered for an installation permit.
  2. Pay for a permit through your account or by calling us.
  3. If required by a safety officer, a construction inspection will be scheduled.
  4. Once the installation is completed, an acceptance inspection is scheduled.

How much does a permit cost?

The fee for a permit depends on the type of device you are installing. Fees for a major or minor alteration are included in the annual operating permit. See the full fee schedule.

Technical Safety BC is a not-for-profit organization. Fees associated with permits allow us to work with industry to reduce safety risks through assessment, education and outreach, enforcement and research.