Installation permits: Passenger ropeways
Who needs a passenger ropeway permit?
- Licensed contractors planning to install passenger ropeways equipment in BC. Passenger ropeways can include ski lifts and gondolas.
Alterations to existing ropeways also require a permit. Use the steps below and include a letter of intent along with your application, detailing the components you intend to modify.
Who issues the permit?
Technical Safety BC issues the permit.
Getting a permit from Technical Safety BC
- Register your passenger ropeway before applying for an installation permit. Once your design registration is approved, you will be automatically registered for an installation permit.
- Pay for a permit through your account or by calling us.
- If required by a safety officer, a construction inspection will be scheduled.
- Once the installation is completed, an acceptance inspection is scheduled.
How much does a permit cost?
The fee for a permit depends on the type of device you are installing. Fees for a major or minor alteration are included in the annual operating permit. See the full fee schedule.
Technical Safety BC is a not-for-profit organization. Fees associated with permits allow us to work with industry to reduce safety risks through assessment, education and outreach, enforcement and research.