Who needs a passenger ropeway permit?

Owners and operators of tramways, gondolas, chairlifts, surface lifts, rope tows, and passenger conveyors.

Who issues the permit?

Technical Safety BC issues the permit.

Getting a permit from Technical Safety BC

  1. Once your passenger ropeway has been installed, and has passed the acceptance inspection, an operating permit invoice will be automatically issued.
  2. Pay for a permit through your account or by calling us within 60 days of passing the acceptance inspection.

Renewing your permit

Operating permits expire after one year. A renewal invoice will be sent to the permit holder before the permit’s expiry date. It must be paid and renewed before the expiry date to continue operations using this permit.

How much does a permit cost?

The fee for a permit depends on the type of operations. See the full fee schedule. Technical Safety BC is a not-for-profit organization. Fees associated with permits allow us to work with industry to reduce safety risks through assessment, education and outreach, enforcement and research.

Need help? Contact us.