Amusement Devices Installation Permits

To install and operate an amusement device in BC, you first must be a licensed contractor and have the correct permits. An installation permit lets you install or erect an amusement device and an operating permit allows you to run it.  

Installation Permit

When you have the design specifications of your device:

  1. Complete the Amusement Devices Installation Permit Form 1279
  2. To submit your application, submit your forms and drawings to the Technical Safety BC Vancouver office in person or by mail.

Our design registration review can take up to four weeks from the date you submit an application.


A number of amusement devices are not regulated by Technical Safety BC and do not require installation or operating permits. Examples include: bungee devices, go karts, stationary coin operated rides, and amusement devices that are operated by muscle power.

For a complete list of amusement devices that are exempt from the regulation, see section 18(2) of the Elevating Devices Safety Regulation.

The following devices are also exempt and not subject to regulation:

  • Ziplines that do not exceed a height of 2.4 m from the ground.
  • Ziplines that have trolley speeds less than 5 m/sec (18 km/hr).
  • Inflated devices that have a bounce surface less than .25 m from the base.
  • Inflated devices that do not have inflated walls and/or roof that encloses the bounce surface.

If you’re not sure whether your amusement device is a regulated product, please contact: Sr. Safety Officer for Amusement Devices on telephone: 778 396 2047, 250-319-5116 or  by email:

Was this page useful to you?