Personnel Hoist & Construction Elevator Operator
Certificates of qualifications are required for operators who work on construction sites and operate a temporary construction elevator or a temporary personnel hoist that transports individuals, materials or both.
Apply For and Book an Exam
- Check that you meet the prerequisites (see below).
- Complete and submit the application to take the exam.
- Pay the required fee
- Take the exam upon receiving approval from Technical Safety BC.
Your certificate is valid for one year, and must be renewed annually. You will receive a renewal notice 45 days prior to your certificate expiry date. This renewal notice along with instructions on how to renew will arrive by mail or email depending on your contact preferences. If you don’t receive a renewal notice within this timeline, please contact us at 1 866 566 7233 from 7 am to 6 pm, Monday to Friday.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Complete 21 hours of documented training from a licensed personnel hoist contractor for the personnel hoist certificate.
- This training is not provided by Technical Safety BC. Please contact the contractors below who offer this training:
- James Hickey School (Tall Crane), SEP Products Group Ltd., River Spring Enterprises Ltd, and Bigfoot Crane Company Inc.
- Pass the elevating device operator certificate of qualification exam.