New exam applicants
We are experiencing a delay in processing new exam applications.
Once you’ve submitted your application, please expect a call from us to process payment and schedule your exam within 10 business days.
Most electrical, gas, and elevating exams can be written online. These exams are offered Mondays through Fridays, at 8:30 AM and 12:30 PM.
However, SOPEEC Power Engineer exams cannot be taken online. If you need to take an in-person exam, please apply for an exam with a requested exam month. Once your application is processed, the exam booking team will provide the available exam dates.
To find out when and where you can write an exam before applying, please send us an email via the Contact Us form.
Special accommodations for exams
Technical Safety BC is committed to providing every exam candidate with an equal opportunity to demonstrate the knowledge, skills or competencies being assessed.
If you have a medical or learning disability confirmed by a doctor or another approved professional, you may be eligible to receive an exam special accommodation.
- Exam reader
- Note: the applicant is responsible for obtaining an exam reader that meets our requirements as detailed within Schedule A of the Exam Special Accommodation Request Form 1689
- Additional time
- Separate exam room
Student responsibilities for requests
- Requests must be made at least three weeks prior to the requested exam date.
- Requests for exam reader and separate exam room must be booked on designated exam dates for exams taking place at a Technical Safety BC office. Available dates will be provided at the time of booking and payment.
- Special accommodation must be used within one year from the date of approval. Approved requests can be used for multiple exams during the course of that year.
How to apply
- Fill out the Exam Special Accommodation Request Form 1689 and obtain required signatures.
- Fill out your applicable exam application form.
- Attach the special accommodation request form to the exam application form (last section of the form).
- Submit both documents as one package.
What to expect
- Your exam application will be processed within 7 to 10 business days. You will be contacted to pay your exam fee and a tentative exam date will be provided.
- Your special accommodation request will be reviewed, and you will be contacted via email with the results of your application.
- If approved, you will receive an exam confirmation letter and accommodation approval letter.
- If you have been approved for an exam reader, ensure you bring the approved individual on your exam day.
- Receive your exam results*
* If you pass your examination and all other certification requirements, we will consider whether your medical condition or learning disability could impact your ability to perform regulated work safely. A further assessment of your ability to perform safety critical work by a medical practitioner or other occupational assessment expert may be required and terms & conditions may be added to your certificate of qualification.
Contact us if you have any questions related to exam accommodations.
Privacy and Collection of Personal Information
Any personal information collected is handled in accordance with the British Columbia Freedom and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have questions about the collection, use, or disclosure of this information, contact the Records, Information and Privacy Analyst for the Technical Safety BC at 1 866 566 7233.