Installation permits: Elevating devices
Who needs an elevating device permit?
- Individuals planning to install or alter elevating devices, including escalators and elevators.
- Individuals planning cab modernizations to existing devices.
Who issues the permit?
Technical Safety BC issues the permit.
Getting a permit from Technical Safety BC
- Register your elevating device before applying for an installation permit. Once your design registration is approved, you will be automatically registered for an installation permit and given an identifiable plate which must be put on the equipment. You can also apply for an installation permit by completing the Elevating devices drawings and specifications submission form and following its submission instructions.
- Pay for a permit through your account or by calling us.
- Once the installation is completed, arrange for an inspection and pay the inspection fee.
How much does a permit cost?
The fee for a permit depends on the type of work you are doing. Technical Safety BC is a not-for-profit organization. Fees associated with permits allow us to work with industry to reduce safety risks through assessment, education and outreach, enforcement and research. See the full fee schedule.
Need help? Contact us for assistance.