Completing a pressure welder practical exam? Here's what you need to know about the process, what to bring, and the exam rules you will need to be familiar with before you complete your exam.
Before Your Exam
Once you have received confirmation that your exam has been booked with Technical Safety BC, we ask that you contact the host location where you will be taking your exam:
- To make payment to the host location for the use of their facilities and materials
- To request that Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) equipment be made available
- To book any training or practice time that you might need
- With any questions, concerns, or other requests (tool needs, parking, directions, etc.)
|Host Location||Contact Email / Phone Number|
3700 Willingdon Ave (building NE8), Burnaby, BC
|Camosun College (Victoria)|
4461 Interurban Rd, Victoria, BC
|College of New Caledonia (Prince George)|
3330 22 Ave, Prince George, BC
250-561-5804 / 250-561-2131
|Hoek Iron Ltd. (FSJ)|
8119 101 Ave, Fort St John, BC
|Kwantlen Polytechnic University (Cloverdale)|
5500 180 St, Surrey, BC
|Okanagan College (Kelowna)|
1000 K. L. O. Rd, Kelowna, BC
|email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org|
1-877-755-2266 ext. 4434
Before your exam, please review the reference syllabus.
What to Bring
You must bring a valid and current government-issued photo identification (ID).
Acceptable IDs are:
- Driver’s Licence (issued by a Canadian province or territory)
- Provincial Identification Card (for example, BC Identity card, Alberta Identity card)
- BC Services Card
- Combination Driver's License and BC Services Card
- Indian Status Card
- Canadian Permanent Residency Card
Please note your ID must be original, legible, and not torn or altered. Copies or certified copies are not accepted. Expired IDs or IDs with no expiry date are also not accepted.
You cannot write your exam without proper identification. This will result in having to reschedule your exam and paying any necessary rescheduling fees.
For the Class A Pressure Welder Exam, candidates are required to bring:
- Personal protective equipment (PPE), such as welding helmet, safety glasses, hearing protection, welding gloves, face shield, etc.
- Tools, such as grinder, chipping hammer, wire brush, pliers, etc.
- Welder logbook
What Will Be Supplied
For the Class A Pressure Welder practical exams, you will be provided with:
- Welding Machine
- Base materials (pipe)
- Consumables (filler metals and shielding gases)
Note: For those attempting the exam using Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) for the root pass, please contact the host location beforehand.
When to Arrive
For the Class A Pressure Welder practical exam, please arrive 60 minutes before the scheduled start time and check in with the host location representative for booth and machine assignment. The host location representative and invigilator will ensure that you are registered, that rules are followed, and that you have all the materials you need. Late arrivals will not be given extra time to complete the exam.
Any breaches of the following rules may result in the termination of your exam session, cancellation of your exam, and result in a prohibition of six months before you may be allowed to write future exams or obtain qualifications. Depending on the severity of the breach, further actions may be considered, including, but not limited to, assessment of pre-existing qualifications, remedial training, and suspension or revocation of existing qualifications.
For the Class A Pressure Welder Practical Exams Only:
- Examinees are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner.
- Threatening behaviour, bullying, harassment, and violence will not be tolerated and could be met with potential consequences for future certifications as per Technical Safety BC and exam host location policies. Threatening behaviour and harassment includes any inappropriate conduct or comment that would have reasonably been known to be humiliating, offensive, or intimidating.
- Examinees will follow instructions and directions provided by the safety officer invigilating the exam.
- Examinees can raise any administrative exam questions or questions related to their safety with the safety officer invigilating the exam.
- Examinees may be asked to leave the immediate area while the coupon is being inspected. This is to allow the invigilator to focus on the inspection and for physical distancing purposes.
- The exam may be terminated at any stage of the evaluation as described in the Class A Pressure Welder Certificate of Qualification Syllabus (SYL-BP-103-01) if a candidate fails to meet the acceptance criteria or is unable to complete the exam within the required time frame. Upon a decision to terminate, a Class A Pressure Welder Exam Form (FRM-1695) will be provided identifying the reasons for termination.
- Upon completion or termination of the exam, all coupons and bend specimens will be retained for a minimum of 30 days.
- After the exam, the hosting location may request that the examinee clean up after themselves (e.g., tidy welding booth, return borrowed tools, etc.).
- Examinees may be expected by the exam hosting location to pay fees relating to the use materials and space supplied by the host location, including filler metals, coupon material, machine use, booth rental, etc.
Getting Your Exam Results
Your exam results will be provided to you by the invigilator in person or made available to you in the Online Services for Certification portal. To view your results, click on the Exams tab, then click View on your exam to see your results.