Operating Permits

Apply Now


An operating permit ensures that a qualified individual is responsible for your technical equipment on your premises. This includes the safe operation, maintenance and inspection of equipment, as well as ensuring that the appropriate records are maintained and available on request by our safety officers.

Under the supervision of a Field Safety Representative (FSR), owners can conduct regular maintenance work without having to take out multiple electrical installation permits.

An electrical FSR is a professionally-qualified individual who is certified with us. They are named on every electrical operating permit. They can validate completed electrical work and can provide assurance that the electrical equipment has been safely installed and is being properly maintained.

FSRs can be changed at any time. However, if you have an operating permit and your FSR has changed, you must let us know by completing the change of FSR form.

Operating permits are necessary to satisfy requirements for operation and maintenance of electrical equipment specified in the Safety Standards General Regulation and BC Electrical Code Regulation; and ensure that maintenance of electrical equipment is monitored by qualified individuals.

If you own or manage any of the following sites, it is likely you need an electrical operating permit:

  • educational facility such as university, college, public or private schools;
  • hospitals, nursing homes, or senior centres;
  • multi-occupancy buildings such as hotels, office high-rises, strata-owned condominiums and apartment buildings, or shopping malls;
  • manufacturing and industrial facilities such as warehouses and recycling plants;
  • recreational facilities such as stadiums, ice rinks, or bowling alleys;
  • facilities that operate equipment in hazardous environments;
  • wind farms;
  • Greenhouses; or
  • municipal sites.

An operating permit is required for electrical equipment when:

  • operation or design of electrical equipment requires regular or ongoing maintenance;
  • supply to privately owned equipment is greater than 750 volts (except for high voltage neon signs);
  • equipment is operated or maintained for emergency service and/or is part of a fire alarm system;
  • rated service capacity of equipment as per the manufacturer’s nameplate rating is capable of handling electrical supply of over 250 kVA (e.g, main service switch, main transforming equipment, electrical panel, or transformer); or
  • equipment is operated within the class or zone designations for hazardous locations.

We will issue your permit, unless you are located in one of the following areas, where you should check with the municipality or district.

  • Burnaby
  • Maple Ridge
  • North Vancouver
  • Surrey
  • Victoria
  • Vancouver
  • West Vancouver

Learn more about jurisdiction.

  1. Apply and pay for a permit through your online services account or using this online form. If you use the form, you will have to submit payment separately through mail, or by calling us. When applying, the form will ask you to identify a FSR. Please be sure to have this information ready.
  2. Once your application is approved, we will issue a permit number.
  • If you or your company is no longer responsible for the address registered with us, complete the Change of Ownership form.
  • If you have an operating permit and your FSR has changed, you must complete the Change of FSR form.

Do You Need a Permit?

Want to know if your facility requires an electrical operating permit? Sign up to receive an email with detailed information on permit requirements.

Find a Licensed Contractor

Search for contractors who are licensed to perform regulated work in our jurisdiction.

Related Information