Certificates: Class A Gas Fitter
Class A Gas Fitter
A Class A Gas Fitter certificate of qualification allows you to perform installations and alterations on any gas system, except vehicle fuel systems, under a permit.
Your Class A Gas Fitter certificate also allows you to perform certain kinds of electrical work. This work is restricted to the installation, repair, and maintenance of electrical wiring for solid, liquid, and gaseous fuel-fired heating equipment, for any of the following:
- Connecting branch circuit wiring to the heating equipment’s integral connection box, from a junction box or a disconnect mounted in close proximity to the heating equipment
- Class 2 circuit wiring up to a rated output of 100 Volt amps
- Low voltage controls or 24 Volt thermostats
- Three-phase motors or controllers integral to the heating equipment
To obtain this certificate, you will need to meet certain eligibility requirements and pass an exam.
To apply for this exam, you must have:
- Successfully completed a recognized Class A Gas Fitter program
- An active Class B Gas Fitter certificate, in your possession for a minimum two years
Refer to Gas Safety Regulation for more information.
- Safety Standards Act
- Safety Standards General Regulation
- Gas Safety Regulation
- Electrical Safety Regulation
About this exam
This exam is 4 hours long, and you must achieve a minimum grade of 70% to pass. Exam details, including areas of study, can be viewed on the exam syllabus.
For more information on our Gas exams, including how to book one, visit the Exams page.