Transfer to BC

Gas Certification

Transfer From Out of Province

If you have an active Gas Fitter certificate or equivalent qualification issued by a province or territory outside of BC, you still need to obtain a BC Gas Fitter Certificate of Qualification in order to perform regulated work in this province.

No other gas certificates are transferable between provinces.

Follow these steps:

  1. Complete your exam application. For more information on our exams, including how to book, visit our exam page.
  2. Pay a fee. The fee covers the processing of your application, as well as your Gas Fitter qualification for three years.
  3. Achieve a minimum of 70% on your ARD exam to pass.

You will receive details on how and where to book your Act, Regulations, and Directives (ARD) exam after your eligibility has been determined.

The purpose of the ARD exam is to ensure you are aware of provincial code variations, interpretations, and regulations before you begin working in BC.

The ARD exam is 2 hours long and consists of 40 multiple-choice questions. It is open book and you will be provided with reference materials during your exam sitting. You must achieve a minimum score of 70% to pass.

Areas of study that will be tested on the exam:


Certificate or Licence

BC Equivalent


Commercial and Industrial gas fitter's licence

Domestic gas fitter's licence

Gas Fitter A

Gas Fitter B


Gas Fitter A Certificate

Gas Fitter B Certificate

Gas Fitter A

Gas Fitter B

New Brunswick

Class G1-L Gas Technician Licence

Class G1-L Gas Technician

Gas Fitter A

Gas Fitter B

North West Territories

Gas Fitter Class 1

Gas Fitter Class 2

Gas Fitter A

Gas Fitter B

Nova Scotia

Gas Fitter 1 Certificate

Gas Fitter 2 Certificate

Gas Fitter A

Gas Fitter B


Gas Technician 1 (G1) Certificate

Gas Technician 2 (G2)

Gas Fitter A

Gas Fitter B


Class 1 (TAG-1) Certificate

Class  2 (TAG-2) Certificate

Gas Fitter A

Gas Fitter B


General Gas-fitter's license

Domestic Gas-fitter's license

Gas Fitter A

Gas Fitter B


Gas Fitter Class 1

Gas Fitter Class 2 with LPG addendum

Gas Fitter A

Gas Fitter B

Transfer From Out of Country

If you have credentials, training, and experience performing regulated Gas Fitter work outside of Canada, you still need to obtain a Class A or Class B Gas Fitter certificate of qualification to perform regulated work in BC.

No other Gas certificates are transferable between countries.

To apply for credit towards a Class A or Class B Gas Fitter Certification based on credentials, training, and experience gained outside of Canada, the following supporting documentation must be submitted via email.

Applicant information:

  • First, middle and last name
  • Date of birth
  • Current address
  • Email address
  • Phone number

Certificates of qualification and training:

  • Out of country certifications or permissions
  • Appropriate legislation as it pertains to the scope of your authorization in the jurisdiction you hold a certificate or permission
  • Detailed information about completed technical training, such as:
    • The competencies covered and the instruction time spent on each competency (theory and practical)
    • Learning objectives of the training
    • Competency assessment methods (written exams and/or practical assessments)
    • Minimum acceptable assessment requirements
    • Training program delivery methods (full-time in-class, part-time in-class, self-study, online, other)
  • Facility name and contact details of the training provider(s) where training was received
  • Contact details for the authority that issued your current certificate of qualification

Reference letters, on company letterhead, from individual(s) you were working under the direct supervision of. The letters should include:

  • Names, certification numbers and signatures
  • Specific time periods where experience has been gained (i.e. Sept 1999 to January 2019)
  • Specific types of appliances, equipment and nature of work performed (i.e. furnaces, domestic water heaters, boilers, cooking equipment, industrial process equipment, piping, venting, air supply, service and/or installation).
  • Firing rate or input of the equipment in Btuh (kW)
  • System pressures in psig (kPa)
  • Types of fuel gases (i.e. natural gas, propane, hydrogen)

If your current qualification allows you to be named on permits or submit work compliant declarations

Note: If verification of work experience cannot be obtained from your employer(s), a Notarized Statutory Declaration by a Notary Public or Commissioner for Taking Oaths must be submitted. This declaration must include the above information.

In some cases, the original documents may be requested and must be supplied for review prior to final review approval.

All submitted documents must be in English or translated into English.

Once submitted, you can expect a written response from Technical Safety BC within 20 business days.

Certification Classes

Related Information