A Class A Gas Fitter certificate of qualification entitles the holder to perform the installation or alteration of any gas system, except vehicle fuel systems, under an appropriate permit.
In addition, the certificate holder can perform electrical work that is restricted to the installation, repair and maintenance of electrical wiring for solid, liquid and gaseous-fuel-fired heating equipment for any of the following:
- Connecting branch circuit wiring to the heating equipment integral connection box from a junction box or disconnect mounted in close proximity to the heating equipment;
- Class 2 circuit wiring up to a rated output of 100 Volt amps;
- Low voltage controls or 24 volt thermostats.
- Three phase motors or controllers integral to the heating equipment.
To Book an Exam
- Complete the following application form online.
- clear copies of your prerequisites, along with the appropriate documentation, when prompted.
- scanned original copies of prerequisite documentation. Notarized copies will also be accepted.
- Make payment when you receive a call from a client service representative.
Note: Only applicants who have submitted complete documentation and have passed the review are eligible for the exam. Candidates found ineligible will receive a letter notifying them of any missing requirements from Technical Safety BC.
- Exam request dates can be made during fee payment. Based on availability, exam dates can be scheduled 15-business days from the time of payment.
This is a four-hour exam and candidates must achieve a grade of 70% or above to qualify.
Gas Certificates of Qualification must be renewed every three years. If you have received your renewal notice, and would like to apply and pay for an updated certificate, please call 1 866 566 7233 or visit the nearest Technical Safety BC office.
- Successfully completed training in a gas fitting program recognized by a provincial safety manager.
- Held a Class B gas fitter's certificate of qualification for at least two years.
- Refer to Gas Safety Regulation for more information.