A Vehicle Conversion (CNG) certificate of qualification entitles the holder to maintain, alter, repair and install compressed natural gas vehicle fuel systems under an operating permit.
The scope of work of certification without endorsement(s) is limited to service, inspection and maintenance only. Installation and or alteration of approved compressed natural gas vehicle fuel systems require an additional endorsement specific to the applicable manufacturer’s fuel system. *Approved training must be acquired on specific system(s) and an appropriate record of successful completion provided to Technical Safety BC. The endorsement will then be attached to the individual’s certification. In some cases, multiple endorsements may be required .
Certification does not entitle the holder to work on CNG related systems as part of an LNG equipped vehicle. An LNG endorsement must be acquired for this purpose and attached to the CNG automotive technician certification.
* Specific manufacturers must apply to Technical Safety BC in advance for approval of training programs prior to delivering programs for the purpose of certification endorsement.
To Book an Exam
- Complete the following application form online.
- clear copies of your prerequisites, along with the appropriate documentation, when prompted.
- scanned original copies of prerequisite documentation. Notarized copies will also be accepted.
- Make payment when you receive a call from a client service representative.
Note: Only applicants who have submitted complete documentation and have passed the review are eligible for the exam. Candidates found ineligible will receive a letter notifying them of any missing requirements from Technical Safety BC.
- Exam request dates can be made during fee payment. Based on availability, exam dates can be scheduled 15-business days from the time of payment.
The exam is two hours and candidates must achieve a grade of 70% or higher to qualify.
Gas fitter certificates of qualification must be renewed every three years. If you have received your renewal notice and would like to apply and pay for an updated certificate, please call 1 866 566 7233 or visit the nearest Technical Safety BC office.
- be a holder of a 3-year automotive industry training credential or an equivalent 3-year automotive trade; or
- have documented evidence, acceptable to a provincial safety manager, of a minimum of 3-years of automotive tune-up experience (tune-up refers to documented knowledge of ignition systems and electronic fuel injection);
- have successfully completed a course in the conversion of vehicles to compressed natural gas that is acceptable to a provincial safety manager.