Power Engineer: Exam information
Our power engineer exams are held across most of our offices in BC. Due to COVID-19, we have also created an online exam option.
You can find more updates about our certification exams here.
View our 2021 exam schedules for the following locations:
Apply for your exam
To take a certification exam, you must first fill out and submit an exam application form along with proof that you meet the minimum requirement for the Power Engineer class you are applying for. An example of proof would be documentation of a relevant completed course or certificate.
Payment and exam schedule
Once your exam application has been processed, you will receive a call from us to pay for and book your exam. This can take up to 7-10 business days after we receive your application. Based on availability, exam dates can be scheduled 15 business days from the time of payment. You will receive your exam confirmation letter by email or mail, depending on your indicated preference.
If your application is incomplete or you are ineligible for the exam, you will be contacted and asked to provide any missing requirements.
Note that for your Power Engineer exam, you will also be allowed to bring the following into the exam room:
- An academic supplement containing Handbook of Formulae and Physical Constants, Steam Tables and Refrigeration Tables
- Extract of CSA standards containing subset of materials from:
- B51 Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Pressure Piping Code
- B52 Mechanical Refrigeration Code
- ASME Extract containing a subset of materials from sections I, II, IV and VIII of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code ASME Extract Supplement containing subset of materials from sections VIII-UW, IX, B31.1 and B31.3 of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code
- Safety Standards Act
- Safety Standards General Regulation
- Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation
- A non-technical English language dictionary
- Non-programmable calculator
- Drawing instruments and drawing templates
Exam application policies
- Incomplete application(s) will be returned to the applicant.
- Technical Safety BC will not be able to accommodate clients wishing to reschedule exams within 5 business days of the scheduled exam date.
- There is no charge for the first reschedule of an examination date if we are notified at least 5 business days from the examination date.
- Second and subsequent re-schedule requests will be charged a rescheduling fee (plus tax).
- Clients that fail to provide sufficient notice or do not attend the exam will be recorded as “no show” and the exam fee will be forfeited.
- Rescheduled exams must be written within 60-days following the original scheduled exam date. Clients unable to write within this time will have to re-apply.
- If an examination candidate fails to pass an examination, they will receive a notification letter from Technical Safety BC that details the marks achieved and highlights areas that are in need of improvement. An exam re-write fee applies to each additional attempt.
- If an examination candidate fails to pass an examination on their initial attempt, the candidate may not take the examination again until 30 days after the previous examination.
- If an examination candidate fails to pass an examination on their second attempt, the candidate may not take the examination again until 60 days after the previous examination.
- If an examination candidate fails to pass an examination on their third or subsequent attempts, the individual may not take the examination for that particular paper again for a period of six months.
- A client may request a special examination sitting for six or more candidates. The request should go to the client care leader and the chief examiner for approval, depending on the availability of an examination invigilator. Applications and fees must be received and processed three to four weeks before the date of the special sitting.
- A government-issued picture ID is required to be presented at the time of writing an examination.
After your exam
Your exam results will arrive by mail or email depending on your indicated preference. You will still need to pass an evaluation if you have not already. You will receive your certification letter and wallet card upon passing both the exam and evaluation portions of the certification process.
Power Engineer certificates must be renewed every 3 years. Learn more.