The Fifth Class Power Engineer Certificate of Qualification allows you to be:
- Chief Engineer of a Fifth Class plant; and
- Shift Engineer of a Fourth Class plant.
To obtain this certificate, you'll need to meet certain eligibility requirements. You will also need to pass an evaluation and an exam.
To apply for your Fifth Class Power Engineer certificate, you must have one of the following:
- Proof of completing a Fifth Class Power Engineering course
- Marine Engineer (motor) Certificate of Competency, any class (qualifying time not required)
- Proof of having an equivalent technical educational background approved by a provincial safety manager
Visit our list of approved courses and training providers.
To apply for evaluation, you must complete one of the following:
- Four months as a Power Engineer trainee, in a plant that is Fifth Class or higher
- Six months experience in the design, construction, repair, operation, or maintenance of equipment that falls under Power Engineer, Boiler, Pressure Vessel, and Refrigeration regulation
Apply For Evaluation
To apply, please complete the plant operating experience form 1026. Once you've filled it in, log in to your Online Services account, start your certificate application and follow the steps to upload the completed form and submit your application. Your proof of experience form will be reviewed by a Provincial Safety Manager. Don't have an account? Sign up now.
If you wish to submit your form by mail, please address it to:
Suite 600 - 2889 East 12th Avenue, Vancouver, BC V5M 4T5.
About These Exams
You must pass one multiple choice exam. As of March 1, 2023, the exam is three hours long, consists of 100 multiple choice questions, and you must achieve a minimum grade of 65% to pass. Exam details, including areas of study, can be viewed in the Fifth Class Power Engineer syllabus.