Our power engineer exams are held in-person, across most of our offices in BC.
If you have an Online Services account, you can book your exam online.
Using Online Services for Certification, you can pick your date, time and location. Here are the locations you can choose from:
- Vancouver Island University
- Fort St. John
- Prince George
If you don’t have an Online Services account, you can contact us to find out when and where you can write your exam.
Apply for Your Exam
Please make sure to submit a certificate application before trying to book an exam. If you haven’t already submitted your certificate application, you can submit it by logging into your Online Services account.
Once you have submitted your certificate application and we have reviewed it, you will receive a notification to book your exam. Use your Online Services account to find your available exam and choose your preferred exam dates, times, and locations. You will not be able to book your exam until we notify you that you are eligible.
If you don’t have an account, you can register now and follow the steps to book your exam.
If you have questions, please contact us or call 1 866 566 7233 to book your exam.
While booking for your exam online, you will be able to choose the location of your exam, the date, and time. If you’re booking a subsequent exam, you will have to submit an additional payment. If not, you will have already paid while submitting your original certificate application.
Read the in-person exam guidelines.
Note that for your power engineer exam, you will also be allowed to bring the following into the exam room:
- An academic supplement containing Handbook of Formulae and Physical Constants, Steam Tables and Refrigeration Tables.
- Extract of CSA standards containing subset of materials from:
- B51 Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Pressure Piping Code.
- B52 Mechanical Refrigeration Code.
- ASME Extract containing a subset of materials from sections I, II, IV and VIII of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code ASME Extract Supplement containing subset of materials from sections VIII-UW, IX, B31.1 and B31.3 of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code.
- Safety Standards Act.
- Safety Standards General Regulation.
- Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation.
The following will be provided to you by Technical Safety BC for use during your exam:
- An online link to a non-technical English language dictionary.
- Non-programmable calculator.
- Examinees are not permitted to bring their own calculators to an in-person exam. Calculators will be provided for you in the exam room.
- Drawing instruments and drawing templates.
Exam Application Policies
- There will be no refunds once you book an exam, even if you do not write that exam.
- You may rebook your exam as many times as you want before your exam cancellation cut-off date for free. This information can be found in your booking confirmation.
- If the cancellation cut-off date has passed and you want to rebook, then you will be required to pay the exam fee plus tax again.
- Clients that do not show up for an exam sitting will be recorded as a “no show”. Subsequent requests will be charged the exam fee (plus tax).
- You will be notified if Technical Safety BC's review identifies a breach of the exam rules. Any finding of a breach of exam rules may invalidate your exam result, and you may be subject to a prohibition of six (6) months before you are allowed to write future exams or obtain qualifications. You will not be issued a certificate of qualification if your exam result is invalid. Depending on the circumstances, further actions may be taken, including but not limited to, assessment of pre-existing qualifications, remedial training, and suspension or revocation of existing qualifications.
- The exam fee (plus tax) will be required for each additional exam attempt.
- If an examinee fails an exam, they will need to wait 30 days after the previous examination to rebook.
- If an examinee fails their third or subsequent attempts, the examinee will need to request permission to write a fourth or subsequent attempt.
After Your Exam
Once you have passed all exams and your evaluation, you will receive your certification letter and wallet card in the mail.
First class power engineer applicants will still need to pass an evaluation if you have not already. All other Boiler,Pressure Vessel, and Refrigeration certificate applicants will have completed their evaluation at the beginning of the application process.