Transfer to BC

Pressure Welder Certification


If you have a pressure welding certificate from another province or territory, you can apply for a Class A Pressure Welder certificate in BC.

You must have one of the following:

  • Welder trade qualification with or without a Red Seal endorsement issued by an apprenticeship authority in another jurisdiction of Canada.
  • Canadian credential authorizing you to perform pressure welding in another Canadian jurisdiction, equivalent to the regulated work of a pressure welder certificate authorized to perform under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation.

In addition to the above, you must also have a current performance qualification for SMAW F3/F4 or GTAW/SMAW F6/F4, as administered by your jurisdiction.

To apply, log in to your Online Services account and follow the steps. Don't have an account? Sign up now.

If you wish to apply by mail, please fill out the Contact Us form to request a paper form.

Once we receive your application and a review of eligibility is completed, you will be notified of your result by email. If the review is successful, you will also receive a wallet card by mail via Canada Post.

Once you have successfully obtained the Class A Pressure Welder certificate, you will need to obtain a welder logbook from SkilledTradesBC before you begin performance qualification testing for welding procedures registered in BC. Performance qualification testing must be administered by a recognized test administrator. See Information Bulletin: Pressure Welding Requirements in BC for more information on pressure welding in BC.

Temporary Work

If you would like to work as a pressure welder in BC temporarily, you can apply for our Class R Pressure Welder certificate. This certificate has a lifespan of up to six months and cannot be renewed.

Permanent Work - Class A

If you are an experienced pressure welder from outside of Canada and would like to work in BC long-term, you must register with SkilledTradesBC and challenge the Red Seal for Welding. Once you have obtained your Red Seal for Welding, you can apply for your Class A Pressure Welder certificate.

Permanent Work - Class IT

If you do not have much pressure welding experience and would like to get a Class IT Pressure Welder certificate, you must register with SkilledTradesBC and become a welding apprentice. After you have completed Level 2 of your training, you may apply for your Class IT Pressure Welder certificate.

You Might Be Interested In

Related Information