A Class B (120kW) Gas Fitter Certificate of Qualification allows you to perform installations and alterations on the following gas systems, under a permit:
- An appliance with an input of 120 kW or less that displays a certification mark or an approval mark issued under section 10 of the Act
- Piping and vents
In addition, you may perform electrical work that is restricted to the installation, repair, and maintenance of electrical wiring for solid, liquid, and gaseous fuel-fired heating equipment for any of the following:
- Connecting branch circuit wiring to the heating equipment’s integral connection box, from a junction box or a disconnect mounted in close proximity to the heating equipment
- Class 2 circuit wiring up to a rated output of 100 Volt amps
- low voltage controls or 24 volt thermostats
To obtain this certificate, you will need to meet certain eligibility requirements, pass an exam, and submit an additional training credential or certificate.
To apply for this exam, you must have successfully completed a recognized Class B Gas Fitter training program. You submit your course completion document along with your exam application.
You must also hold a trade certificate in one of the following:
- Sprinkler fitting
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Class B certificate of apprenticeship
If you are in an apprenticeship that includes Class B Gas Fitter training that has been recognized by the provincial safety manager, you may qualify as a special sitting candidate. Special sitting exams are organized by your training provider. To take a special sitting exam, you must also have a copy of your ITA transcript that shows one of the following:
- Class B Gas Fitter- level 1 completed (1500 hrs minimum)
- Plumbing - Levels 1-3 completed (4815 hrs minimum)
- Steam Fitting- Levels 1-3 completed (4215 hrs minimum)
- Refrigeration Mechanic- Levels 1-3 completed (4655 hrs minimum)
You may also challenge the Class B Gas Fitter exam if you have held a Gas Utility ticket for at least two years and have completed a recognized Class B Gas Fitter training program.
Refer to Gas Safety Regulation for more information.
About this exam
Submit your credential
After you successfully complete your exam, you must submit one of the following to Technical Safety BC:
- Canadian piping trade credential in Plumbing, Steamfitting, Sprinkler fitting, or Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- BC Class B Gas Fitter certificate of apprenticeship
You must submit your credential within 12 months of passing your written exam in order to receive your Class B Gas Fitter certificate.