The Special Purpose Certificate of Qualification allows you to perform limited regulated gas work, and only under the conditions specifically endorsed on your certificate.
This certificate is only provided when there are no other means available for an individual to perform required regulated gas work. Because of this, you must submit a detailed explanation as to why a Special Purpose certificate is required and why other means of complying with Gas Safety Regulation section 4 are not appropriate (for example, why supervision by a Class A or B Gas Fitter cannot be provided).
To qualify for a Special Purpose certificate, you must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- You are a licensed gas contractor
- You are employed by a licensed gas contractor
- You are working under the permission of an operating permit
You must also have successfully completed training recognized by the provincial safety manager designed specifically for the purpose of the Special Purpose certificate.
Refer to Directive: Special Purpose certificate of qualification and Gas Safety Regulation for more information.
How to apply
To apply for a Special Purpose certificate, follow these steps:
- Complete an application form. Make sure to select “certificate without exam” on the form.
- Attach the following to your application:
- A letter of employment from your current employer
- A record of training relevant to the Special Purpose certificate, recognized by the provincial safety manager
You will be contacted for payment once your application has been reviewed.
A Special Purpose certificate can be issued for a duration of up to 3 years.
Email us to apply to renew your Special Purpose certificate. In your email, include an updated letter of employment, and an updated record of approved training.