The Ice Facility Operator certificate allows you to operate an ice facility plant that:
- Does not exceed a 1,000 kW prime mover nameplate rating
- Has a Refrigeration Operator or a Fourth Class Power Engineer as the chief engineer of the plant
To obtain this certificate, you will need to meet certain eligibility requirements. You will also need to pass an evaluation and a certification exam.
In order to apply for your Ice Facility Operator certificate, you must have:
- Be employed at, and have experience in the operation of, an ice facility plant for a period of no less than 30 days
Refer to Safety Regulation for more information.
Apply for an evaluation
You can apply for an evaluation by following these steps:
- Submit a completed application form, along with clear copies of prerequisites and proof of any qualifying time credit signed by your chief engineer/company official. You can submit your evaluation application by email or in person at a Technical Safety BC office.
- Pay a fee.
Apply for an exam
To take this exam, you must:
- Complete and submit an application to take the exam.
- Pay a fee.
Technical Safety BC will contact you to book your exam once your application has been approved.
About this exam
Effective March 1, 2023, all refrigeration operator and ice facility operator certificate of qualification examinations will comprise of 100 multiple choice questions. The exam is three hours long, and you must achieve a minimum grade of 65% to pass.