The Refrigeration Operator certificate allows you to be the person-in-charge of any type and size of refrigeration plant.
To obtain this certificate you will need to meet all eligibility requirements listed below and pass an evaluation and certification exam.
In order to apply for your Refrigeration Operator certificate, you must have one of the following:
- Refrigeration mechanic credential issued under the Industry Training Authority Act (qualifying time not required)
- Proof of successful completion of an approved refrigeration operator course
- Proof of having an equivalent technical educational background that has been approved by a provincial safety manager
You must be employed for a minimum of sixth months assisting the operation plant that uses one of the following:
- Group A3, B2 or B3 refrigerants and has a capacity of more than 25 kW of prime mover nameplate rating
- Group A1, A2 or B1 refrigerants and has a capacity of more than 125 kW of prime mover nameplate rating
Refer to Safety Regulation for more information.
Apply for an evaluation
You can apply for an evaluation by following these steps:
- Submit a completed application form, along with clear copies of prerequisites and proof of any qualifying time credit signed by your chief engineer/company official. You can submit your evaluation application by email or in person at a Technical Safety BC office.
- Pay a fee.
Apply for an exam
To take this exam, you must:
- Complete and submit an application to take the exam.
- Pay a fee.
Technical Safety BC will contact you to book your exam once your application has been approved.
About this exam
Effective March 1, 2023, all refrigeration operator and ice facility operator certificate of qualification examinations will comprise of 100 multiple choice questions. This exam is three hours long, and you must achieve a minimum grade of 65% to pass. View the syllabus.