Starting February 1, 2019, exam reference material WILL NOT BE provided by Technical Safety BC for power engineering, operator or safety awareness certificate exams. Applicants will be allowed to bring in approved reference material for use in the examination room. Refer Use of Code Books For Exams.
This certificate of qualification entitles the holder to be:
- chief engineer of a plant with a corresponding or lower class;
- shift engineer of a plant up to one class higher than the class of the certificate; or
- a person-in-charge of any type or size of refrigeration plant.
To get certified, candidates have to successfully pass required certification exams and evaluation. Application for evaluation can be made at any stage of certification provided you meet all the prerequisites.
To Book an Exam
- Submit completed application along with clear copies of prerequisites.
- Check information on exam schedules in the section below.
- Pay fees on receiving call from Technical Safety BC.
- Examination dates are allocated when applications and fees are received and approved. It is subject to availability of seats before registration cut-off date. Read the exam scheduling policy here.
- Receive exam confirmation letter by mail or email. If you have not received your confirmation letter, a week prior to your tentative scheduled date, please contact Technical Safety BC at 1 866 566 7233
We are actively scheduling online exams for electrical, gas, and elevating and in-person exams for power engineering and refrigeration at our offices in Langley, Fort St. John, Prince George, and Kelowna.
If your exam was postponed or waitlisted, expect a call from us soon.
We are accepting new bookings. Book your certification exam today.
Contact us for any questions.
To book an evaluation
- Submit your completed application along with clear copies of prerequisites and proof for any qualifying time credit signed by the chief engineer / company official; this can be done online or to any Technical Safety BC office.
- Pay fees on receiving a call from Technical Safety BC.
Note: Certificate is only issued upon successful completion of certification exams as well as evaluation.
Certificates of Qualification must be renewed every three years. To renew your certificate, please login to your online account as a certificate holder.
All certificates issued without an expiry date under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel & Refrigeration Safety Regulation, including power engineer certificates, are invalid. If you hold an invalid certificate, you are not legally permitted to work or practice. Learn how to reinstate your certification.
Order a printed wall certificate
Get your wall certificate professionally printed at a cost of $68 which includes mailing. To get your certificate professionally printed please submit the completed form to our Contact Centre. Once the form is processed, we will contact you to pay for the printed wall certificate. Applications sent in via email will take 6 to 8 weeks to process and ship, mail application times are longer. Please also bear in mind that this certificate is only valid when accompanied with your valid wallet card and that your wallet card is proof of your certificate of qualification.
- second class power engineer’s certificate of qualification; or
- second class power engineer’s standardized certificate of competency
The applicant should have been employed while in possession of their second class power engineer’s certification of qualification or a second class power engineer’s standardized certificate of competency for:
- 30 months as chief engineer of a second class plant; or
- 30 months as an assistant chief engineer of a first class plant; or
- 36 months as a safety officer for the purposes of this regulation; or
- 30 months as shift engineer of a first class plant; or
- 45 months as an assistant shift engineer of a first class plant.
Qualifying Time Credits:
- If the applicant has successfully completed an approved first class power engineering course, then the required period of employment can be reduced by 12 months. Refer here for a list of approved courses and course providers.
- If an applicant holds an engineering degree, as defined in the regulation, then the required period of employment can be reduced to 12 months.
Refer to safety regulation for more information.
Candidates need to pass the following eight exams (essay type), of 3.5-hours each, with 65% marks. All details on the subject areas of study and general exam information can be viewed in the syllabus of First Class Power Engineer.
- 1A1 - Applied Thermodynamics and Plant Cycles
- 1A2 - Principles of Applied & Fluid Mechanics
- 1A3 - Applied Engineering Technologies
- 1A4 - Power Plant Operations
- 1B1 - Legislation and Codes for Industrial Equipment
- 1B2 - Safety, Loss, and Environmental Program Management
- 1B3 - Inspection, Maintenance and Repair Practices
- 1B4 - Business & Workforce Management
- Safety Standards Act
- Safety Standards General Regulation
- Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation
- Safety orders
- Information bulletins
Approved list of courses and course providers