Design registration for boiler and pressure vessel fittings
Designs of fittings will be registered in accordance with Clause 4.2 of CSA B51 “Boiler, Pressure Vessel, and Pressure Piping Code”.
The following pressure piping systems are exempt from the regulation:
- pressure piping external to a boiler proper in a low pressure low temperature fluid plant that operates at a working pressure of 206 kPa or less and a temperature of 100oC or less; or
- pressure piping operating at and with a pressure relief valve set at 103 kPa or less.
Design of pressure piping NPS3 or smaller is exempt from registration. However, the system must comply with all regulation and code requirements.
To register a design:
- Submit a completed design registration application form (CRN/PRN/BCLD).
- Submit a completed British Columbia Statutory Declaration Form (statutory declarations from other provinces may be accepted). See sample and guide for preparing statutory declarations.
- Provide drawings or catalogs detailing dimensions, material specifications, pressure/ temperature ratings and markings.
- Submit documentation from a regulatory authority / authorized inspection agency that provides verification that the manufacturer’s quality control program meets all the requirements provided in Annex F of CSA B51.
- For more than one design, please complete a separate application and collate documents by design.
- Only one set of drawings, calculations and application form is required for each design.
- Submit paper copy of the application, by mail or in person, to our Vancouver office. Mark the envelope - Attn: Engineering Design Registration.
Note: Incomplete application packages will not be processed.
Submit following documents (in addition to the above) to apply for a reciprocal registration.
- A completed Fitting CRN Application Supplement - Reciprocal form.
- Acceptance letter or proof of initial registration from a regulatory authority.
- A completed and signed supplemental sheet to qualify for our streamlined reciprocal registration process.
Design registration process
- The design registration package will be reviewed to verify that all requirements have been met.
- Upon satisfactory review, the vessel design shall be assigned a Canadian Registration Number (CRN).
- A registration letter indicating the CRN, date of registration, manufacturer’s name, description of the vessel, drawing numbers, conditions and any other pertinent information will be sent to the applicant.
- A separate invoice will be forwarded for the fee.
- The average time for completing the design registration process is 20 to 30 business days, upon receiving a completed application.
Note: No other documents will be stamped or returned to the applicant.
Quality Management Systems (QMS) certificate
- Fitting registrations are only valid if the current certification of a manufacturer’s quality control program is on record with Technical Safety BC.
- The manufacturer’s quality control program shall be re-certified at a maximum interval of five years.
- All fitting registrations must be re-validated ten years after the date of initial registration.
Step 1: Obtain an installation permit
A permit is required to install and operate a boiler. Refer here for information on obtaining a boiler installation permit.
Step 2: Inspection
Following the registration acceptance, the vessel installation and its piping shall be inspected and hydrostatically tested to a safety officer’s satisfaction before being placed in service. Refer to boiler inspections for more details.
Step 3: Operating permit
Obtain an operating permit that allows the operation and maintenance of a regulated product or equipment. An operating permit is issued once the safety officer is assured that all design requirements have been complied with and that the vessel is properly installed. For details on how to get an operating permit, refer here.
Forms and fees
- Pneumatic testing
- Directive - Exemption from Registration Requirements for Category A, B, C, and G Category Fittings
- Adopted Codes & Standards
- Regulatory notices
Mail or submit paper copy application to our Vancouver office. Mark the envelope - Attn: Engineering Design Registration.
For more information or clarification email: email@example.com
Note: Email submissions will not be accepted.