Electrical Inspections

Important note: Technical Safety BC does not issue electrical permits and complete inspections in all municipalities in BC. Some local governments have been delegated portions of the Safety Act within their own areas. As a starting point, check our jurisdiction page to determine if the area you reside falls under Technical Safety BC, or the municipality, or is exempt. 

While Technical Safety BC primarily performs inspections on work requiring permits, safety officers may also inspect any installation that involves electrical work or electrical equipment. These can include any commercial, industrial or residential premises.


Persons making a declaration required by regulation or the Safety Standards Act, must physically inspect the work before making the declaration and certifying its compliance. Read details here

The amendment to Safety Standards General Regulation is effective August 31, 2018.


Field Safety Representatives are primarily responsible for performing inspections on work completed by licensed contractors.

If you are the permit holder and your safety officer has identified an aspect of your work that does not comply with the regulations, you must correct the issue and notify the safety officer.

To request an inspection:

  1. Complete and submit the Electrical Contractor Authorization & Declaration Of Compliance Electrical Inspection Request Form 206
  2. Once submitted, you will get an email copy of the form sent to your email address.


Electrical homeowner permit holders must request that a safety officer inspect electrical work before any wiring is concealed or connected to a supply. The completed electrical work must also pass the final inspection by a safety officer.

To request an inspection:

  1. Complete and submit the Electrical Homeowner Inspection Request Form 1011 to Technical Safety BC.

Service Connections

A service connection declaration to Technical Safety BC is required as per the Electrical Safety Regulation 17.5(b) and 19.4(b). This is to declare that the work done at the site is safe and meets regulations. A similar declaration is required for some municipalities who issue their own permits and perform service connections.

BC Hydro requires that all requests for electrical service connections be submitted by a valid field safety representative (FSR) or electrical contractor, and that a valid permit has been taken out to perform the work at the site. You also need to submit a BC Hydro Declaration to confirm your compliance with BC Hydro standards and requirements.

View more information about electrical service connections with BC Hydro.

Inspection Types

A person must not do any of the following unless the regulated work has been inspected or the inspection has been waived: conceal any portion of the rough wiring; connect power to the electrical supply system and if the inspection is required for other than the last phase, work on the next phase of the electrical work.

Rough Wiring 

  • Partial rough wire: partial rough wire is when a portion of a limited area of the work for a specific phase under the scope of work is complete (e.g., single floor of a multi-floor building, a unit of row housing or outside walls of a dwelling.)
  • Complete rough wire: complete rough wire is when no further wiring is to be installed and all areas are ready for cover up. This is in addition to a previously submitted partial rough wire declaration. Submit the declaration to Technical Safety BC and post a copy at the job site.
    • The date shown for concealing must be no sooner than the start of the second business day after the online entry is made. A business day is defined as 7:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday to Friday except statutory holidays.

Service Connection

  • New Service: when new electrical service(s) are installed for new construction.
  • Service Upgrade or Relocation:  when the existing electrical service is upgraded, modified, or when the main service panel is relocated to meet current code requirements. 
  • Temporary Construction Service: a temporary operating permit is required for service installations which are temporary in nature and will be disconnected once the construction or demolition phase of work is complete. The temporary operating permit is valid for 12 months from the date it is obtained. This permit is not renewable.
  • Contractor other:  used when a service requires repair due to external damage (e.g., storm damage).

Work-in-Progress: when work is ongoing, but no specific work is ready for concealment, connection, or final. Notify your local safety officer with a work status update (e.g., local utility work-with).  Clients are to use the “Work in Progress” category on the declaration to request an inspection for the purposes of submitting the declaration to the utility for scheduling purposes only, prior to the work being completed. Once the work is completed, the FSR or owner can submit another declaration for a connection request.

180 Days Safety Check:  the owner or FSR is required to physically examine the installation at least once in every 180 day period and submit an inspection request and declaration. This declaration is where no additional work has been completed. 

If no inspection request has been submitted within a 180 day period, the holder of the permit must have the permit amended to allow for the extra time before performing any regulated work.

Final: submit your final declaration when all work under the scope of the permit is complete.