COVID-19 client service update

Safety critical assessments and incident investigations are continuing, as per our mandate. More information here.

Gas certification
Gas Certification

Gas Certification: Transfer to BC (out of country)

Transfer to BC - out of country

If you have credentials, training, and experience performing regulated Gas Fitter work outside of Canada, you still need to obtain a Class A or Class B Gas Fitter certificate of qualification to perform regulated work in BC.

No other Gas certificates are transferable between countries.

How to apply for your Gas Fitter certificate

To apply for credit towards a Class A or Class B Gas Fitter certification based on credentials, training, and experience gained outside of Canada, the following supporting documentation must be submitted via email.

1. Applicant information:

  • First, middle and last name
  • Date of birth
  • Current address
  • Email address
  • Phone number

2. Certificates of qualification and training:

  • Out of country certifications or permissions
  • Appropriate legislation as it pertains to the scope of your authorization in the jurisdiction you hold a certificate or permission
  • Detailed information about completed technical training, such as:
    • The competencies covered and the instruction time spent on each competency (theory and practical)
    • Learning objectives of the training
    • Competency assessment methods (written exams and/or practical assessments)
    • Minimum acceptable assessment requirements
    • Training program delivery methods (full-time in-class, part-time in-class, self-study, online, other)
  • Facility name and contact details of the training provider(s) where training was received
  • Contact details for the authority that issued your current certificate of qualification

3. Reference letters, on company letterhead, from individual(s) you were working under the direct supervision of. The letters should include:

  • Names, certification numbers and signatures
  • Specific time periods where experience has been gained (i.e. Sept 1999 to January 2019)
  • Specific types of appliances, equipment and nature of work performed (i.e. furnaces, domestic water heaters, boilers, cooking equipment, industrial process equipment, piping, venting, air supply, service and/or installation).
  • Firing rate or input of the equipment in Btuh (kW)
  • System pressures in psig (kPa)
  • Types of fuel gases (i.e. natural gas, propane, hydrogen)
  • If your current qualification allows you to be named on permits or submit work compliant declarations

Note: If verification of work experience cannot be obtained from your employer(s), a Notarized Statutory Declaration by a Notary Public or Commissioner for Taking Oaths must be submitted. This declaration must include the above information.

In some cases, the original documents may be requested and must be supplied for review prior to final review approval.

All submitted documents must be in English or translated into English.

Once submitted, you can expect a written response from Technical Safety BC within 20 business days.