Boilers, Pressure Vessels & Refrigeration Regulation – Adopted Codes And Standards
This document lists the technical codes and standards as adopted by the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation. In the event of conflicting information, the Regulation supersedes this document.
Adopted codes and standards
- The following codes, standards or parts of a code or standard of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) are adopted:
(a) ASME B31.1-2014 Power Piping;
(b) ASME B31.3-2014 Process Piping;
(c) ASME B31.5 Refrigeration Piping and Heat Transfer Components 2013 Edition;
(d) ASME B31.9-2014 Building Services Piping;
(e) Repealed. [B.C. Reg. 97/2016, s. 1.]
(f) ASME PTC 25-2014 Pressure Relief Devices.
- The ANSI/NB-23 National Board Inspection Code 2015 Edition of the American National Standards Institute and the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors (ANSI/NB) is adopted.
- The following codes, standards or parts of a code or standard of the American Petroleum Institute (API) are adopted:
(a) API STD 530 Revision/Edition 7 Calculation of Heater-Tube Thickness in Petroleum Refineries 2015 Edition;
(b) API 510 Pressure Vessel Inspection Code: In-Service Inspection, Rating, Repair, and Alteration, Tenth Edition;
(c) API 570 Revision/Edition 3 Piping Inspection Code: Inspection, Repair, Alteration and Rerating of In-Service Piping Systems.
- The following codes, standards or parts of a code or standard of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), or the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and the American National Standards Institute (ASME/ANSI), as applicable, are adopted:
(a) ASME Section I — Rules for Construction of Power Boilers 2015 Edition;
(b) ASME Section IV — Rules for Construction of Heating Boilers 2015 Edition;
(c) ASME Section VIII — Rules for Construction of Pressure Vessels, Divisions 1, 2 and 3, 2015 Edition;
(d) ASME Section X — Fiber-Reinforced Plastic Pressure Vessels 2015 Edition;
(e) ASME Section XII — Rules for Construction and Continued Service of Transport Tanks 2015 Edition;
(f) ASME CSD-l-2012 Controls and Safety Devices for Automatically Fired Boilers;
(g) ASME/ANSI PVHO-1 Safety Standard for Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy 2012 Edition.
(h) Repealed. [B.C. Reg. 170/2018, Sch. 2, s. 41.]
- The following codes, standards or parts of a code or standard of the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) are adopted:
(a) CSA B51-14 Boiler, pressure vessel, and pressure piping code;
(b) CSA B52-13 Mechanical refrigeration code.
(c) Repealed. [B.C. Reg. 170/2018, Sch. 2, s. 41.]
- The NFPA 85 Boiler and Combustion Systems Hazards Code 2015 Edition of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is adopted.
- The Standards of the Tubular Exchanger Manufacturers Association (TEMA) Ninth Edition is adopted.
- The ANSI/CGA G-2.1-2014 Requirements for the Storage and Handling of Anhydrous Ammonia Sixth Edition of the American National Standards Institute and the Compressed Gas Association (ANSI/CGA) is adopted.
All design specifications should adhere to the latest editions and addenda of the adopted codes listed above, unless the submission details the reasons for using an earlier edition or addenda.
Note: There is typically a lag between when a code or standard is revised and available, and when the latest version becomes adopted by the Regulation. Technical Safety BC encourages designers to use the latest standards, but the standards adopted in the Regulation can be enforced.