Boilers, Pressure Vessels & Refrigeration Regulation – Adopted Codes And Standards
This document lists the technical codes and standards as adopted by the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation. In the event of conflicting information, the Regulation supersedes this document.
Adopted Codes and Standards
1. The following codes, standards or parts of a code or standard of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) are adopted:
- ASME B31.1 Power Piping 2012 Edition;
- ASME B31.3 Process Piping 2012 Edition;
- ASME B31.5 Refrigeration Piping and Heat Transfer Components 2013 Edition;
- ASME B31.9 Building Services Piping 2011 Edition;
- ASME B31.11 Slurry Transportation Piping Systems 2002 Edition; (f) ASME PTC 25 Pressure Relief Devices 2008 Edition.
2 The following codes, standards or parts of a code or standard of the American National Standards Institute and National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors (ANSI/NB) are adopted:
- ANSI/NB-23 National Board Inspection Code 2013 Edition;
- ANSI K61.1-1999/CGA G-2.1-1999 Safety Requirements for the Storage and Handling of Anhydrous Ammonia Fifth Edition.
3 The following codes, standards or parts of a code or standard of the American Petroleum Institute (API) are adopted:
- API STD 530 Revision/Edition 6 Calculation of Heater-Tube Thickness in Petroleum Refineries 2008 Edition with 2009 errata;
- API 510 Revision/Edition 9 Pressure Vessel Inspection Code: In-Service Inspection;
- API 570 Revision/Edition 3 Piping Inspection Code: Inspection, Repair, Alteration and Rerating of In-Service Piping Systems.
4 The following codes, standards or parts of a code or standard of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and American National Standards Institute (ASME/ANSI) are adopted:
- ASME Section I — Rules for Construction of Power Boilers 2013 Edition;
- ASME Section IV — Rules for Construction of Heating Boilers 2013 Edition;
- ASME Section VIII — Rules for Construction of Pressure Vessels, Divisions 1, 2 and 3, 2013 Edition;
- ASME Section X — Fibre-Reinforced Plastic Pressure Vessels 2013 Edition;
- ASME Section XII — Rules for Construction and Continued Service of Transport Tanks 2013 Edition;
- ASME CSD-l-2012 Controls and Safety Devices for Automatically Fired Boilers;
- ASME/ANSI PVHO-1 Safety Standard for Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy 2012 Edition;
- ASME QAI-1-2010 Qualifications for Authorized Inspection.
5 The following codes, standards or parts of a code or standard of the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) are adopted:
- CSA B51-09 Boiler, Pressure Vessel, and Pressure Piping Code;
- CSA B52-05 (R2009) Mechanical Refrigeration Code;
- CSA N285.0-08/N285.6 Series-08 General Requirements for Pressure-Retaining Systems and Components in CANDU Nuclear Power Plants / Material Standards for Reactor Components for CANDU Nuclear Power Plants.
6 The following codes, standards or parts of a code or standard of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) are adopted:
- NFPA 85 Boiler and Combustion Systems Hazards Code 2011 Edition.
7 The standards or parts of the standard of the Tubular Exchangers Manufacturers Association (TEMA) Ninth Edition are adopted.
All design specifications should adhere to the latest editions and addenda of the adopted codes listed above, unless the submission details the reasons for using an earlier edition or addenda.
Note: There is typically a lag between when a code or standard is revised and available, and when the latest version becomes adopted by the Regulation. Technical Safety BC encourages designers to use the latest standards, but the standards adopted in the Regulation can be enforced.