Who We Are
Technical Safety BC is an independent, self-funded organization mandated to oversee the safe installation and operation of technical systems and equipment. In addition to issuing permits, licences and certificates, we work with industry to reduce safety risks through assessment, education and outreach, enforcement, and research.
Our Vision: Safe technical systems. Everywhere.
Our Mission: We build your confidence in safety systems for life – through a focus on risk and support for innovation.
What We Do
Technical Safety BC delivers safety services across the following technologies in the province:
- Electrical equipment and systems
- Boilers, pressure vessels and refrigeration systems
- Natural gas and propane appliances and systems, including hydrogen
- Elevating devices, such as elevators and escalators
- Railways, including commuter rail
- Passenger ropeways, such as aerial trams and ski lifts
- Amusement devices
- Complex and integrated technical systems involving several technologies
In order to promote safe practices, our services include:
- Assessing technical work and equipment, including collecting information through physical assessment, incident investigation and registering new equipment and designs.
- Certifying individuals and licensing contractors and operators to perform regulated work.
- Supporting clients in the development of alternative safety approaches, and auditing their safety management plans or equivalent standards approaches.
- Taking enforcement actions that promote an equitable safety system where all participants are compliant with regulations.
- Educating our clients and the public about technical safety to better control risks.
- Conducting research, including contributing to provincial and national code development and updating regulations for the technologies we serve.
Technical Safety BC oversees the safety of technical systems for a specific set of industry sectors:
- Spans residential, commercial and industrial settings, serving both individuals and businesses.
- Is responsible for administering parts of the provincial Safety Standards Act and the Railway Safety Act, and related regulations.
- Is responsible for ensuring the ongoing sustainability and relevance of BC’s technical safety system.
- Has over 300 employees who are experts in their fields.
Offices & Contact Information
We have service locations throughout British Columbia - please see the Offices Across BC section of our website. Information and services are available by phone at 1 866 566 7233 and through our website.
A comprehensive presentation of our services can be found in our most recent State of Safety Report.
Information about our Executive Team and Board of Directors is available in the Corporate Governance section of our website.
Phone: 778 396 2164