A Class B Gas Fitter (220 kW) certificate of qualification entitles the holder to install and alter:
- a fan assisted appliance or a natural draft appliance with a certification mark or an approval mark issued under section 10 of the Act.;
- other appliances with certification marks or an approval mark issued under section 10 of the Act. and vents up to and including 220 kW;
- piping and vents.
Note: Due to changes in gas regulation, this certificate is only applicable to candidates currently enrolled in Class B 220kW training.
No new applications for the 220kW certification will be accepted after April 1, 2020.
If you have an application in progress, the following may apply to you:
- If your application is in progress before April 1, 2020, you may complete all requirements (including passing the exam and paying fees) by September 30, 2020 to receive the Class B 220 kW certification. After this date, the application will be closed and you will have to reapply for a 120 kW certification.
- Expired 220 kW certifications over three years will be reinstated as Class B 120 kW certifications upon application and completion of requirements to reinstate.
- Existing 220 kW certifications in good standing can be renewed with no changes.
To Book an Exam
- Complete the following application form online.
- clear copies of your prerequisites, along with the appropriate documentation, when prompted.
- scanned original copies of prerequisite documentation. Notarized copies will also be accepted.
- Make payment when you receive a call from a client service representative.
Note: Only applicants who have submitted complete documentation and have passed the review are eligible for the exam. Candidates found ineligible will receive a letter notifying them of any missing requirements from Technical Safety BC.
- Exam request dates can be made during fee payment. Based on availability, exam dates can be scheduled 15-business days from the time of payment.
Note: For apprentices approved for special sitting
- Proof of program completion is required prior to the issuance of Class B Gas Fitter certification.
- Email/mail a clear copy of the trade qualification within 12-months of sitting for Class B Gas Fitter certification exam.
The exam is 4 hours and candidates must achieve a grade of 70% or above to qualify.
Gas Certificates of Qualification must be renewed every three years. If you have received your renewal notice and would like to apply and pay for an updated certificate, please call 1 866 566 7233 or visit the nearest Technical Safety BC office.
An applicant for a Class B Gas Fitter certificate of qualification must have completed their training or were in an approved training program before April 1, 2009.
An applicant for a class B certificate of qualification must provide course completion certificate/letter for:
- Sprinkler fitting
- Refrigeration Mechanic
- Domestic/ Commercial Gas Fitter
- be a holder of the Gas Utility ticket for at least two years and confirm their Gas Fitter work experience through the FortisBC Record Form attached to their Gas Utility Ticket.
For special sittings, candidates must:
- be on approved class list
- provide copy of ITA transcript (all pages)
- provide trainee apprentice transcript in either:
- Domestic/Commercial Gasfitter- levels 1 completed (1800 hrs minimum); or
- Plumbing - Levels 1-3 completed (4815 hrs minimum); or
- Steam Fitting- Levels 1-3 completed (4215 hrs minimum); or
- Sprinkler Fitting- Levels 1-3 completed (4260 hrs minimum); or
- Refrigeration Mechanic- Levels 1-3 completed (5415 hrs minimum)
*Plumbers registered prior to Jan 1, 2011 have the same workplace hour requirements as Steam fitter*
Refer to Gas Safety Regulation for more information.