- Complete your recognized training program. See here for a list of approved training providers.
- Candidates with Canadian qualifications from outside BC can refer here for details on the certification process.
- Gas Fitters with qualifications and experience from outside Canada, can refer here for more details.
- Submit completed application form along with proof of meeting minimum requirements for that certification type. Clear photocopies will also be accepted.
- Make payment and get information on exam dates and location. Only applicants who have submitted complete documentation and are eligible for the exam, will receive a call for this step. This can take up to five business days after receipt of the completed application form. Check applicable fees here.
- Receive your exam confirmation letter by email or mail (depending on preference indicated).
- Sit for your exam (remember to bring government issued photo identification when you write your exam).
- Receive your exam results (by mail or email depending on the preference you have indicated).
- For Gas Fitter Class B only: Forward your ITA qualifications to Technical Safety BC (this is required to complete your certification).
- Receive certification letter and wallet card on passing exam.
- You are now certified and may now do regulated work based on the scope of your certification.
Note: For apprentices approved for special sitting
- Proof of program completion is required prior to the issuance of Class B Gas Fitter certification.
- Email/mail a clear copy of the trade qualification within 12-months of sitting for Class B Gas Fitter certification exam.
Gas Certificates of Qualification must be renewed every three years. If you have received your renewal notice, you have three options to renew your certificate:
- Online: Use our online services to renew and pay for your certificate online. If you don’t have an account, visit our sign-up page for instructions on how to register.
- By Phone: Call the Technical Safety BC Contact Center at 1 866 566 7233.
- In Person: Visit our Contact page to identify the nearest Technical Safety office and hours of operation.
Reinstatement of Gas Certificates of Qualification (for Closed Certification)
Gas Certificates of Qualifications that remain expired for more than 3-years without the required renewal request will be closed. Individuals that have gas certifications that are closed must do the following to have their certification reinstated:
- Submit application to schedule the certification reinstatement exam.
- Pay the applicable fees; and
- Rewrite and successfully pass the applicable examination for that class of certificate.
Note: Not applicable for Special purpose certificate of qualification holders.